Monday, July 22, 2013

MOVIE WATCHIG ETIQUETTE

As with every other activity, there are certain etiquette which should be followed while watching a movie in the theater. We call ourselves civilized, but once in a while I begin to doubt the authenticity of that claim when I have some real blood boiling experiences while watching a movie. Yesterday I went to watch D-DAY with my friends and all of the possible annoying experiences occurred with me during the 2 and half hour duration. Let me give you the gist  of it and you would understand what I mean. My movie was scheduled for a 3:45 PM start and let me share my experience through the help of a timeline.

3:40 PM
Only 5 mins for the film to start and I realize I am the only one in my group to be present with the tickets in my hand. The rest of them are on their way and would reach after a while. I don't know about you all, but I absolutely hate to miss even a single moment when watching a movie at the theater. That includes even the trailers ( you can't deny that you look forward to them as well). The early signs are ominous and it sure was ......

 4:10 PM
Okay, so i have positioned myself at my designated seat and my friends have made it too in the nick of time. "All iz well", I murmur to myself as I start to enjoy the film which starts on a promising note. Suddenly I feel something hit my seat making a vibrating effect on my back. I say to myself that it must be by accident and ignore it. And then again another kick. Then another. Controlling all my anger and aggression, I gently turn around and ask the guy to mind his foot and not let it wander as if it was his drawing room. Thankfully it worked, but it may not always be the case leading to rise in mercury and some exchange of hostility. One must understand that if he cant control his body movements for 2 hours, then he is not suitable to watch a movie along with a theater full of human beings. He should be having his own theater where I dont care how the hell he prefers to watch his movie.

4:45 PM
Almost an hour of the film is done. It's building up nicely. The protagonist is sharing an intimate moment with his lover and a wonderful song starts playing to amplify the mood, when suddenly I hear a loud cry (well, it may be ironic, but I failed to see the funny side to it). Oh no , not again !!!! This is nothing new and I have been facing this issue for quiet some time now. I am certain many of you would too. In our country, going to the movies has become sort of a family pastime nowadays. Its more of a weekend indulgence rather than genuine love for the film. So you see the whole family , infants included, being present to watch any film that is up. I have no issues with children talking or chirping while watching a Disney feature or any superhero movie, but whats the point in bringing them along in R rated movies. Its not long before one of these kids gets bored and irritated and start to bring out their greatest weapon to get their parents attention. Well they get the attention of many others in the process and it is really annoying. Please get someone to babysit for you or else please rent the DVD when its out. I earnestly request the parents not to waste our movie watching experience.

5:30 PM
The intermission is over and we are entering that phase of the movie where it gets really interesting and I am starting to enjoy the movie and waiting to see the climax build up. But I am not so lucky today, am I???  The bloke in front of me receives a call on his mobile and it starts to churn out the latest PRIYANKA CHOPRA hit single as the ringer tone. To make matters worse, he actually receives the call. To take the matter to the stage of  irreparable damage, he doesn't get up and get out to finish his business. He goes on with his business sitting right at his place, totally oblivious to what others are feeling ( Like punching him on his face). I have no words for MORONS like him. The least you can do is being considerate.

6:05 PM
The film is about to end. It has built up nicely and the acting have been superb. So how is this going to end? As a movie buff, I always tend to think ahead towards the ending as if playing a game with the director's mind. With experience, I have started to win more games. I was starting to get ready to start the game, when I heard someone sharing the ending with his fellow viewer sitting by his side. The voice was certainly not my mind speaking to me. My game had been abandoned due to that idiot. Thankfully D-DAY is not the most suspenseful film, but these idiots do exist and their mouths should be taped with tapes printed *SPOILER ALERT* I wonder why didn't his fellow buddy do the same.

6:20 PM
The movie ends and I am at MC DONALDS with my friends. I liked the film in spite of all the obstructions and the empty people who come to watch movies now a days. These people will not get better overnight. Its their nature. But they must be told they are doing wrong. They must realize what harm they are causing others. As I take a bite of my MC SPICY CHICKEN burger, I promise to myself that I would always follow the etiquette of watching a movie in the theater and be the first one to point to others who doesn't . Lets see how it goes........



1 comment:

  1. A lovely lovely read..I echo your sentiments...Remember our experience in "Dhobi Ghat"?? The young crowd refused to co-operate with us and started quarreling instead..disgusting!!! Sadly,there's no real etiquette followed in the cinema hall..

    ReplyDelete